Monday, November 2, 2009

swine flu, bird flu, SARS......

Seems like I have survived them all. I have not (yet) caught any kind of bug his season. Good German DNA, strong immune system, I dont know...... It is certain that I have the Delta32 DNA variant which means somewhere along my biological lineage, my ancestors survived the plague in Europe. It is scientifically proven if you have D32 you tend to be more resilent.
I have been on 8 flights in 10 days and am VERY conscious about people sneezing, coughing, wheezing and alike. As a matter of fact, in Chicago airport, I actually "jumped" slightly when person sat near me that was obviously sick and started hacking and sneezing. I promptly moved seats. But not much you can do on an airplane. I know I am tempting fate as I write this because the travel gods will get me going home! :)
I do find one thing interesting.... all we hear about stay home and away from groups if your sick; people have to go to work for income, airlines still charge a $150 penalty to change plus difference of airfare. All the chatter we make about trying to isolate if we are sick to prevent or arrest the spread; like closing schools and such, we are not taking the most obvious actions.
I believe in empirical data. I will not question the virus is out there and many are sick, some very ill or pass away. But how many vs. population percentage? You have to wonder, people fall ill and die of many things. When the numbers exceed anything previous like the plague in Europe and consume double digits of the population, then it will be serious to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment