Sunday, August 29, 2010

quality and service is in direct relationship to price; NOT always

I am in the mood for a rant.

Earlier this year, I was in Omaha and decided to stay at a Holiday Inn with a very large aquatic park as part of hotel facility. I knew there would be kids and heck, I wanted to swim too but the sleeping rooms were so old and felt so dirty that I wore my socks to walk on the carpet. Haven't hotels every heard of steam cleaning carpets... maybe once a quarter would be good. I dont even want to think about what was spilled or the amount of dead skin we all shed.

On my current trip I first stayed at the Four Points at Chicago Ohare. I realized quickly there was a reason that room was so cheap. Maybe in bottom 10 of all Four Points.
Then on to a Doubletree in Little Rock. Wow, that property rocked; new renovation and property was fresh and up to date even though it was build in early 70's. I can certainly tell that more than 60% of its business is corporate. Very friendly staff, horrible breakfast; just no passion and flavor (eggs were so old they were green! which is the reaction they have with the aluminum chaffing dish. Not harmful as we ate green eggs all the time in Navy but not appetizing). I cant wait to go there again in 3 weeks. I will just eat breakfast elsewhere.
Then to Sheraton Atlanta Airport. Rooms are fine (only so much you can do with really small bathrooms; just part of construction and this building is at least from 70's) but, the public space carpets and bar & restaurant are in desperate need of a face lift renovation.
Lastly, I have a client at Ritz Carlton Maui. Not a cheap place; $1000+ a night for the residential suite. I arranged for hotel to pick him up at airport in a limo. I get a call that no limo is there and he is sitting there waiting. I call the hotel; took 5 times before they answered. I called Carey Limo in Maui (this is the vendor the hotel uses); they run on Island time, closed after 7:30pm! So, after 30 minutes of trying, the hotel manager on duty, Chris, said he will call the guests mobile and tell him to take a taxi. Seriously!? Ritz Carlton service?!?!?!?!!? Take a taxi when a limo was booked? I suggest they have a frank discussion with Carey Limo (their preferred vendor) and the PBX at hotel at 9:30pm Maui time.
Geez!

No comments:

Post a Comment