Sunday, May 24, 2009

better hotel food

I have had several recent experiences that has given me great hope; that hotels are taking the quality of F&B seriously. I have many bad food memories and they all make me sad because it is an area that should shine, create buzz and happy attendees but has an overwhelming negative effect if it is forgotten and allowed to languish. Pools of grease, moldy pastries, bad quality, no taste...... and I have always said, and recently wrote for Conference magazine an articles where I ask "why can't group/banquet kitchen make good food"? I have several experiences in the past few months that make me wonder if my dream has come true. The Marriott Irvine CA has very good food coming from banquets and the Marriott Griffin Gate also is putting out really good selections. The Irvine hotel has delicious breakfasts such as Seal Beach and a unique chicken wellington on its group menu's. The Griffin Gate chef makes outstanding soups, sliders and fried green tomatoes. So, there might be good news out there. Maybe hotels are starting to hire chef's that know that flavor and quality in food should not be a surprise but an expectation. Or maybe they are just setting Tivo for the food network which is inspiring new ideas. Either way, we are the winner!

No comments:

Post a Comment